Top Social

Life Update: Where I've Been

Sunday, June 4, 2017

If you hadn’t noticed, I haven’t posted in a bit. I’ve been posting updates on Twitter and Instagram about what’s been going on, but if you don’t follow me there you might not know. So let’s back up a couple weeks.

My husband's birthday was on the 21st of May. One of his best friends, who is basically his brother, came to visit for his birthday. My husband didn’t want to go all out, even though he was turning 30, but he did want a fun weekend just the three of us. And that is exactly what happened. We took him around to all our favorite places in Phoenix and Scottsdale, but mostly had a relaxing weekend. The last day that his friend was here, a Monday, we went out to lunch before going to take him to the airport. Coming out of lunch, I must have stepped off the curb wrong, but all I remember was hearing a snap and I was on the ground.

I have anxiety, so getting out of the area was more important to me than figuring out what was wrong. I knew he had to go to the airport, so I didn’t want to go straight to a hospital or urgent care. Instead we went home. While my husband took him to the airport, I laid on the couch and tried to relax. But, the swelling wouldn’t stop. When my husband got back from the airport, we went to urgent care. They did x-rays and said that I had fractured my fibula, at my ankle. I was put in a walking boot, with crutches. They told me to keep taking ibuprofen and to follow up with an orthopedic doctor. On the 24th, we went to an orthopedic doctor where they did absolutely nothing. By Thursday night, leading into Friday morning, I was in so much pain that we had to go to the hospital. They did some more x-rays and confirmed that it was fracture. I was prescribed Percocet for the pain, and Zofran for nausea — I can barely handle ibuprofen. They made me an appointment with their orthopedic doctor, at the hospital, for a follow-up. I much preferred this orthopedic doctor to the orthopedic doctor I went to originally. The new orthopedic doctor is actually the doctor for the University’s football team. It was definitely re-assuring to hear that.

At this point, I was still in a walking boot but was told to not put any weight on it and keep it elevated. At the follow-up, at the hospital, they took the boot off and looked at my ankle and the x-rays. They decided it was best to put my ankle in a cast. For the next 3 weeks.

So that is where I am at. I have had my cast, my first ever cast, on for about 5 days. I know that 3 weeks isn’t that long, but it has taken some getting used to. I’m not used to not being able to do things for myself. Thankfully, my sister drove here from California to help take care of Gracie, and help me get around while my husband is at work. She has been a lifesaver!

I didn't want to post pictures of the actual injury. I have some broken blood vessels and bruising from torn ligaments. But, here are the pictures I posted on Instagram.

I don’t know how much I will be able to post, realistically. I am not allowed to sit, and have to keep my ankle elevated at all times. It makes taking photos and doing anything else virtually impossible. I do have some photos from some posts I was planning pre-injury, so hopefully I will be able to do something with those. I really wanted to write this post to update you all.

More updates soon.